Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hiking and Biking

Went hiking and biking a few weeks ago. (two weeks apart)

Hiking from Happy Valley to Stanley (on Hong Kong Island), which you can see pictures of in my new slideshow. The hike was perhaps only 3 miles, but was over the mountains. There are two peaks that the Westerners call the twin sisters, as they are of similar heights. You have to go down one and up the other, no matter which way you are headed. To get to the top, either way, you have to climb over 1100 stairs. Fun Fun.

Biking was in the New Territories (in the northern part of Hong Kong). For this we went to a certain area and rented bicycles. We biked along the river and mountains for somewhere between 15 and 20 miles.

During this time I perfected the "Hong Kong Pose". I call it the Hong Kong pose, but really it has no official name. I had noticed it when I had first gotten here. Everyone seemed to be giving a peace sign, every time someone took a photo of them. I thought it was strange and during the biking trip with Jack and 5 of his friends (all locals), I inquired of this peculiar behavior. I joked that the next time someone takes a picture of me, that I will give a peace sign so as to fit in. Well, they informed me that it wasn't a peace sign, but a "V" for victory. After I finished laughing, I tried to determine why they would be giving a "victory" sign for in Hong Kong, and why for every picture. As far as I knew, Hong Kong had nothing that they had been victorius over. No battles, no sports, no beer competitions. Well, the locals didn't know why they give the victory (aka peace) sign, they just do. So, I have decided to implement it in almost all of my pictures to come. (as I hate having my picture taken, and this is a way to make them all as goofy as possible)

No comments: